St Alban's Abbey



The Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban
West End Seen across the lake in Verulamium Park
Abbey Gate [IoE 163388]
The Abbey Gateway is the only building that remains of the Abbey of St Albans. Built in 1365, it was used for many years as a prison. It was the Liberty Gaol until 1868 and now forms part of St Albans school.



This is a personal website run by John Saville.  All web pages are Copyright John Saville as are all photographs unless otherwise indicated. Other information (e.g. maps etc) may be copyright to others as indicated. No information may be copied or reproduced without prior permission (from: but this will almost certainly be willingly granted.