The Vicarage and its park appear
on the OS 6" map of c.1885, but there is no church at Haywood and nearby
Dewsall and Callow are served by Dewsall rectory. The house is shown on
the 1831 OS 1" map, when it was called Fountain Cottage.
The park and drive run up to the
Callow road, where there is a lodge copied from the circular
cottage at Blaise Hamlet, Bristol, designed by John Nash
for John Matthews of Belmont House.
This lodge was believed to be an
outpost of Belmont House, but the OS 6" 1st edition map shows that it
belongs to the Vicarage. The Vicarage's park was bought by John Matthews
c.1810, and he appears to have made it into a separate estate for his
younger son, Arthur, who was vicar of Linton (thus explaining the
property's name). The park planting marked on the 6" map is relatively